Reports to: Machine Shop Group Lead
We are looking for a Machinist to set up and operate conventional, special purpose machines, and machining centers to fabricate custom machine components. The machine shop equipment includes conventional mills, lathes, drill presses, surface grinders, inspection granite plates, and accessories related to the machining processes.
- Works cooperatively with customers, fellow employees, contractors, and management
- Communicates with management, fellow staff, and customers any project concerns, project status, and possible area solutions
- Completes all assigned tasks in a neat and timely fashion
- Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements
- Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work piece for subsequent machining as appropriate
- Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, grinders
- Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut
- Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls as required
- Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications. Inspects via appropriate measuring devices. Detail number from drawing is stamped on machined piece
- Confers with engineers, production personnel, or others to resolve machining problems
- The Machinist signs off on the drawings and components are marked accordingly with proper job#/detail#
- If there are any changes to be made to a blueprint, the Machinist red lines the drawing and tags the drawing with a red flag
- The Machinist performs routine maintenance on the machine department equipment weekly to ensure proper working order
- Organizes heat treatment and black oxide for machined components, once machining requirements are met
- Verifies and only uses measuring instruments that are calibrated using a certified JOE block set, as detailed in clause 4.11
- Basic understanding and knowledge of Solidworks.
- Ability to operate and program 3-axis MillPwr NC milling machines
- Computer competent for uploading and downloading NC programs to the NC Machine.
- Ability to store and manage past current and future programs for NC machine
- Ability to develop and recommend machining schedules to accent output from our design department.
- Understands NC formats
- Ability to continually improve the output of the NC machines that are available.
- Provide re-work support throughout IAI… Prioritizing according to Machine Shop Group Leaders direction
- Develop best practices for machining efficiency.
- Occasional travel as required globally
Education Requirements and Experience
- Minimum Certificate of Qualification for a Precision Metals (General Machinist, Mould Maker or Tool and Die Maker)
- Ability to operate a 3-Axis Millpwr NC Milling Machine considered an asset
- Ability to lift weights reaching 50lbs, carry weights reaching 40lbs, and push and pull weights reaching 100-150lbs
- Confidence in dealing with people
- Ability to deal with all types of personalities
- Adaptable and able to modify approach in dynamic environment
- Able to prioritize competing job functions
- Possess structured problem solving and analytical skills